The entrance door to your flat serves as a gateway to your personal space and provides security, insulation, and aesthetic appeal. To ensure its longevity and proper functionality, regular care and maintenance are essential. By following a few simple guidelines, you can keep your flat entrance doorset in optimal condition and enhance its performance. In this blog, we will explore key care and maintenance tips for your flat entrance doorset, empowering you to create a safe and inviting entryway.
Keep it Clean and Tidy
Regular cleaning is an important aspect of doorset maintenance. Dust, dirt, and grime can accumulate on the surface and in the hardware, affecting both appearance and functionality. Follow these steps to keep your doorset clean:
Use a soft cloth or sponge to dust off and wipe down the door surfaces regularly. Pay special attention to handles, knobs, and hinges.
Prepare a solution of mild detergent and warm water. Gently clean the door surfaces using a soft cloth or sponge. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or harsh chemicals that may damage the finish.
After cleaning, ensure the door is completely dry to prevent moisture-related issues. Pay attention to any water accumulation around the base or in crevices.
Lubricate Moving Parts
If there is an instance where they are squeaking or binding, Follow these steps for proper lubrication (JELD-WEN SecureSET hinges contain graphite which should last for a long period of time) :
- Use appropriate lubricant: Ideally use a general-purpose silicone-based lubricant. When using petroleum-based products make sure to use a small amount as large amounts that can attract dirt and debris.
- Apply lubricant to hinges: Apply a small amount of lubricant to the hinges, focusing on the pivot points. Open and close the door several times to distribute the lubricant evenly.
- Do not spray Lubricants into Locking mechanisms as this may be absorbed into materials, causing them to swell.
Address Door Alignment and Stability
Proper alignment and stability are essential for a flat entrance doorset to function correctly. Follow these steps to maintain its alignment and stability:
- Check for misalignment: Periodically check if the door is misaligned, sagging, or rubbing against the frame. If necessary, adjust the hinges or seek professional assistance for realignment.
- Tighten loose hardware: Over time, screws and bolts may become loose if they are subject to a large amount of usage. Inspect and tighten any loose hardware, including hinges, handles, and strike plates.