What do I need to consider in a conservation area?

There are over 8,000 conservation areas in England with a large number of homes located in them.

Being in a conservation area might mean that your house is affected by special controls (called 'Article 4 Directions'), which restrict work you can normally do without planning permission such as replacing an external door or window or altering gutters and downpipes.

These controls are tailored to each area by the council, and are put in place when there are particular elements of local buildings they want to protect. Find out if an Article 4 Direction applies to your area by contacting your local planning authority.

Share this with a friend